I was born, and spent most of my younger years in Oakland, California. I attended Crocker Highlands grammar school, McChesney Junior High, Oakland High, Menlo-Atherton High School, and the University of California at Berkeley.
I was drafted and served on active duty in the U. S. Army from 1962 to 1964 at Fort Ord, California. In October, 1964, I married a local girl who convinced me that we should stay on the Monterey Peninsula. So, after being released from active duty, I went to work for Security National Bank of Monterey County as Operations Officer. After a short six-month banking career, I was appointed City Clerk and Treasurer of the City of Pacific Grove, and I worked for the City in various capacities until I retired in 1994.
In addition to my work with the City, I started William S. Pitt and Associates, a firm that did computer consulting and custom programming. In 1978 I opened Affordable Computers which offered computer sales and services. I later incorporated as Mariposa Computers and opened a second store in Aptos, California (near Santa Cruz). I sold the corporation prior to my retirement from the City.
My wife and I remained in Pacific Grove for 30 years and raised our two girls there. When I retired, we moved to Lake Tahoe and I started a small business developing and hosting Web sites. It was supposed to be more of a hobby than a business, but it grew larger than I expected, and pretty soon it became almost full time. In early 2005, we moved from Lake Tahoe to Rescue, California, a semi-rural community in the foothills east of Sacramento, in order to be closer to our family. I started to downsize the business so that I could spend more time with my wife, children, and grandchildren. Our two daughters and their husbands have given us six wonderful grandchildren.
You can contact me using the contact form.
I think this site will always be a work in progress. I first developed the site using HTML and CSS. Then I found that it was easier to develop and maintain sites using WordPress so I redid this site with WordPress using a theme I generated with Artisteer. When Artisteer updates seemed to degrade the program, I continued to use WordPress, but now I’m using the Genesis Framework and Dynamik Website Builder. The design of this site, with the fixed or “sticky” header, is a modified version of the Nova skin developed by Robert Gabriel of DynamikPages. For those who use WordPress, here is a list of the plugins used on this site:
- Akismet – Quite possibly the best way in the world to protect your blog from spam.
- BackupBuddy – The most complete WordPress solution for Backup, Restoration, Migration, and Deployment.
- Clean and Simple Contact Form – A clean and simple contact form with Google reCAPTCHA and Twitter Bootstrap markup.
- Google AdSense – Use Google AdSense and other Google tools with your WordPress site.
- InfiniteWP Client – This is the client plugin of InfiniteWP, a free self hosted, multiple WordPress site management solution.
- J Shortcodes – A collection of useful shortcodes to create custom column layouts, add custom buttons, content boxes, tabs, accordion, feature and call to action boxes.
- Limit Login Attempts – An essential tool to help prevent hacking. It limits the rate of login attempts, including by way of cookies, for each IP.
- NextGEN Gallery – The most popular gallery plugin for WordPress.
- Obfuscate E-mail – Obfuscates e-mail addresses to deter e-mail harvesting spammers, while retaining the appearance and functionality of hyperlinks.
- Video Grid With Lightbox – Creates a responsive video grid with responsive lightbox.
- WP Edit – Adds extensive additional editing functionality to the default WordPress editor.
Please use the contact form for comments, constructive criticism, questions, or to let me know of problems with this site.