Updated 04/30/2014 – According to a company forum post, the much-anticipated OnePlus One smartphone will reach general availability in June. You can read the CNET article here.
According to the specs and a hands-on review from Engadget, the OnePlus One, due in late May, is a top-tier smartphone at a bargain basement price. The retail price for the phone will be $299US for the 16GB model and $349US for the 64GB model. Keep those prices in mind when you review the following specs:
- Qualcomm’s latest SoC, the Snapdragon 801 with a quad-core 2.5GHz CPU
- Adreno 330 GPU and 3GB of RAM.
- JDI’s 5.5-inch 1080p IPS LCD panel protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- Built-in 3,100mAh battery.
- A speedy 13-megapixel f/2.0 camera (Sony Exmor IMX214 sensor with a 6-lens module and dual LED; 4K video; 720p slow-motion at 120 fps).
- A 5-megapixel wide-angle selfie cam.
- Loud stereo speakers (tuned by JBL) and tri-microphone with noise cancellation.
- NFC, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.1 plus GPS radios.
- Support for LTE bands 1/3/4/7/17/38/40, as well as WCDMA bands 1/2/4/5/8.
The phone is powered by the popular CyanogenMod 11, based on Android 4.4.
About the only features lacking are microSD expansion and USB 3.0. The phone should work with most US carriers except Sprint and Verizon.
You can expect the phone to be hard to get, at least for a while. It won’t be sold through carriers but only direct from OnePlus using the OnePlus Invite System. According to a post on the OnePlus forum:
With an invite, you can be 100% sure that you’ll actually be able to buy it, and it ships within a few days. In contrast to staying up in the middle of the night trying to buy one along with 20,000 other people. So in the true spirit of the OnePlus name, a good product gets spread by word of mouth, shared among friends for that extra personalized touch.
So how do you get an invite? Invites will also be made available through friends, contests, and on this forum (you have not been forgotten). We value thoughtful contributions from active fans. Once you’ve bought a OnePlus One, you’ll also become eligible to invite your friends in the future.
As soon as we can get our hands on a OnePlus One we’ll give you our complete evaluation. In the meantime, go to the OnePlus One website for more information and sign up for an invitation.